Summer is here and so are summer vacations (thankfully!). Vacation is absolutely a time to veer from routine and to indulge. It allows us to recharge and deal with our diet and exercise fatigue, because let’s be honest, when you’ve got serious performance or body composition goals, it is hard work.
That being said, most of us don’t want to fall so far from the wagon that we come back to a surprise 10 extra pounds on the scale and a steep uphill battle with our training.
So how do we maintain some semblance of a routine when we travel while also still mentally taking advantage of our vacations?
- Make a plan before you go! Does your hotel have a gym or is there one nearby? Many gyms will allow you to buy a day pass to drop-in for a quick session. Make sure you prepare WHAT you’re going to do before you get there so you don’t waste precious vacation time.
- Drop in to a group fitness class! Try out the local yoga teacher. Go to a spin class. Maybe Zumba? Whatever strikes your fancy. It is vacation after all. Just be smart and pick something that won’t completely wreck you, either.
- Go outside! If it’s nice, take your training outside and work with what you’ve got. For some of us training outside is rare, so take advantage of the fresh air and scenery.
- Keep it short and sweet. Doesn’t have to feel like a chore, and it shouldn’t while you’re on vacation. Just move around for 30-45 minutes or so.
- Find a Friend! Training while you’re on vacation is much easier when you’ve got a buddy to do it with you. More often than not other people want to fitness while they’re on vacation too.
- Stay active. Go for a walk, a swim, or whatever fits in with your locale. Maybe it’s walking instead of taking a cab to your next museum or next meal.
Keep in mind, taking a physical break from the gym is important to training longevity. Every once in a while you do need to take a break from the grind and from the routine. Those few days of not being physically present in your gym will do wonders for your mentality and give new gusto to your training when you come back to it after vacation. So enjoy the variety of vacation training!
All of these things will make a difference in how you feel walking back into the gym the day after vacation. Of course, there is one other key aspect of vacation that we can’t forget.. Nutrition! So stay tuned. Out of Office Nutrition is coming up next!